Best Clover Club Cocktail
Rabbit Hole Distillery
It was the late 1800s at Philadelphia’s Bellevue-Stratford hotel in which the Clover Club cocktail was born. The hotel was a popular hangout for writers, lawyers and titans of industry, who frequented the hotel as a networking place of sorts. As with most meetings in those days; discussions included drinks. The Clover Club was an immediate hit with the "in" crowd.
The Clover Club was a pre-Prohibition favorite and one of Philadelphia’s greatest contributions to cocktail history.
2.5 ounces gin (Bespoke gin)
1/2 ounce of fresh raspberry syrup (Bonus: recipe in notes section below)
1 lime wedge (optional presentation and garnish)
1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
3-4 ripe raspberries and toothpick (garnish).
1 egg white (cage-free, free range vegetarian-fed chicken eggs are best)
Add the Bespoke gin, raspberry syrup, lemon juice, and egg white to a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice and shake intensely until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass (champagne glass looks nice).
Using the toothpick, garnish with 3 speared raspberries and lime wedge. Voila! Enjoy!
- Add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a pot.
- Place over medium heat and stir until all sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low, add 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Cook for 2 minutes, and then smash to a pulp using a blender wand or whisk.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or metal strainer with a coffee filter to remove the tiny seeds.
- Refrigerate in a jar until ready for use.
Warning: Consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs poses a risk of food-borne illness. Caution should be taken when touching the egg whites to the exterior shell of the egg; this is where the danger zone is.